One of the reasons that I originally wrote ooTunes was because I was very put off with the poor performance of other alternatives. I tried DOT.Tunes (it was using 10% of my cpu all the time, and resyncing with my iTunes library took minutes). I tried slimserver and found that in order to keep the slimserver database in sync with my iTunes library I had to run a 1 hour long sync. I chose to do this during the night, since it bogged down my computer and made playing music from the library skip and buffer. I spent a lot of time tacking on additional functionality (like marking songs played when I played them, etc.) but it was obnoxious not to be able to see changes to a playlist for as much as 24 hours. So, ooTunes was born. I spent a lot of time writing and optimizing the code that reads the iTunes library. It now is parsed in under 5 seconds, without freezing up my computer, and that's on a library with 14,000 tracks! This means, what you see through ooTunes is basically what you have in your iTunes library. If it isn't, reload the page, and it will be.
Well, I spent several of the last few days further increasing the pageload speed. I found that a lot of the time when refreshing the page (usually re-reading the iTunes library is the biggest part of that, though it only re-reads it if there have been changes since the last read), was spent reading online playlist from mp3tunes and pandora. Many people don't use these so they wouldn't be seeing the slowdown, but for me, it was taking an extra few seconds each time I reloaded. So I made changes to do a better job caching those as well. (the demo will now load about twice as fast as it used to, on a fresh login!)
Now if only I could have made more progress on MooTunes. It's coming along but my love for "speed optimizing" just overwhelmed my love of making tons of money!
Also, please send me your suggestions and requests for improvements! I would have probably never made some of these changes if someone wouldn't have spoken out about it!